Monday 4 August 2014

What wine with escargots?

I started the latest Burgundy dinner with Escargots Bourguignon as starter. I must admit that this is the first time I had done this as it is a more expensive item on the menu. This is however a popular appetizer here in Hong Kong, especially with the addition of mashed potatoes, which is unusual France. I first met it some 40 years ago, though I wasn't the one having it at that dinner.

Various matches are touted for this dish. Matthew Jukes recommended Sauvignon Blanc, which if you want to keep it in Burgundy, one has to go to St Bris. Hugh Johnson cast his net wide and came up with Rhone reds (Gigondas, Vacqueyras) Alsace Pinot Blanc or Muscat outside Burgundy. He recommended St Veran or Aligote from within Burgundy. I could not locate a St Veran 1er Cru for the 1er Cru theme of the dinner, so stuck with de Villaine's Bouzeron which had garnered RP92 on the score card. Everyone agreed it went done a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment