Monday 18 August 2014

Sweet wine from Burgundy




Of the major wine regions in France, Burgundy is the one which does not really make sweet wines. Jean Thevenet of Domaine de la Bongran in Vire-Clesse makes a cuvee botrytisee from nobly rotten Chardonnay grapes, which is sweet and thus denied the privilege of the Vire-Clesse appellation. I had very much wanted to try that wine, but have not yet been able to get a bottle. apart from this, I had not known any other sweet wines from any maker in Burgundy.

Imagine my surprise when I saw on display at one of the Hong Kong branches of a Japanese wine retail chain a bottle called l'Effrontee from Domaine Matrot in Meursault. On enquiry I was informed that the wine was made from botrytised Aligote. Now that is what I call a really unusual bottle of wine and I have included it in my Chinese blog on alternative wines. I have obtained some bottles and shall look forward to trying it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment