Saturday 3 January 2015

Cour-Cheverny Moelleux

It was one of those serendipitous opportunities that I encounter from time to to time. When I blogged about Cheverny, I read about Cour-Cheverny and its special grape Romorantin. I was recently reminded of it and then I ran across a special wine from this appellation, not only that but a Moeulleux example which they only can make when the weather is hot enough. The fruit for the sweet version is late harvested but not affected by botrytis. Sure, I am still waiting to taste dry wine, but I had already tasted the sweet version.

Romorantin is an ancient grape which is a full sibling of Chardonnay Aligote etc, and is now in retreat, only being grown in Cour-Cheverny. Apparently it is somewhat phylloxera resistant, so the vines which gave the fruit to this wine is actually ungrafted. The dry wines are somewhat intense and minerally, being compared by some to Chablis. As for this moeulleux example, it was golden yellow with a sweet fruity nose. The palate was sweet with a hint of honey, well supported by an acid backbone.

No comments:

Post a Comment