Thursday 18 December 2014

Krasnostop

Although I was unable to attend the full Wine Fair, and though I was also much occupied with the Mexico Conference, I had nevertheless tried doing a tiny bit of homework before the show. One of the results of such homework was that I could add Krasnostop to my collection of eclectic grapes. Looking the name up in VIVC, most entries point to Krasnostop Zolotovskii ( with Krasnostop Anapskii being a mutation). The odd one out is that Krasnostop could also be a Tsimlyanskii Chernyi. However as all three are black and originate in the Russian Federation, I am at a loss to know which of the three it could be. These three grapes have been found to be unique to the Rostov area where they are now grown. If one takes safety in numbers, let me guess that the wine I tasted was made from Krasnostop Zolotovskii.

The above wine was a deep ruby, with a plummy acid nose. The palate was sweet acid with berry notes and a touch of wood (reflecting 18 months in barriques), leading onto a soft plummy acid backbone.



No comments:

Post a Comment